Project Cost: RM50K
Amount Invested : RM5K
Amount Required : RM45K
Knowledge / Experience Required:
Proposed Investor’s Role:
informatics / multimedia
Company History: n/a
Product / Service Description:
The idea is to launch a website that focuses on publishing short stories for writers online, focusing on a wide genre (romance, fantasy, crime, horror, etc). Readers can read the e-books across multiple devices such as desktop, tablets and smartphones. What? You’re saying Malaysians don’t read? But we’re not focusing on Malaysia alone, right?
As little as only 1-2% of authors get their books accepted by publishers. While it is true that editorial scrutiny is important to determine the quality of a story, it doesn’t mean that the other 98% of shunned writers produce crappy contents. There are many good and hungry authors out there looking to publish their works. Which is why some authors decided to self-publish. But self-publication is diffusive and lack focus, not to mention the amount of marketing needed to raise awareness of your book in your own website. The effort is at best, futile. And there’s Kindle Direct Publishing. But unlike Kindle Kindle that focuses on books, novels, novellas and short stories, the one that we proposes focuses only on short stories. It is a niche market targeting, simply because short stories are quicker to produce (rapid content generation) and can be finished by readers in maybe just one or two sittings (quick consumer satisfaction). Plus the website help authors design a nice cover for their titles as well as illustrations between the pages to help liven up the reader’s imagination. And much more. It’s not just a publishing platform but one that ensures optimized user experience (both readers and authors).
Here’s the thing: We want to make reading short stories fun, hippy and exciting, not the kind you’ll find in other websites that are spread across the internet. Yes, find a nice little niche where it has the potential to grow fast, buff it up real good, kick off some smart marketing and you’ll probably find customers knocking on your door.
Readers pay a small sum for each short stories they read. Writers get a generous royalty. We make what’s left in between. More importantly, it is about building a platform. Build the platform, make it an attraction and the money will come.
Management Team: n/a
Current Status: n/a
Funding Milestone: n/a
50% equity is negotiable. Anything more would be highly improbable.
Expected Return On Investment:
It’s a new area to move into so no pretty figures or nonsensical assumptions here. Besides, 3 out of 4 new start-ups fail in the first 3 years. That’s a fact. No sugar-coating here, ok. Firstly, we focus on building the platform.
Investment Risk and Mitigation:
Risk should it fail: Lose all the RM45K invested.
Reward if successful: A unique platform that attracts authors from all over the world to publish and readers to buy and read the contents.
Even bigger reward if it ever becomes super-successful: Become a small little thorn that pocks on Kindle and iBook.
Exit Strategies: One possible exit strategy is to sell the platform to other more established publishers in the future. Think Amazon?
Tony Choo ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
Postal Address : Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
State : Kuala Lumpur
Post Code : 56100
Country : Malaysia